Hereford City Council is aware of the current health worries surrounding Coronavirus.
To help keep yourself and others safe:
A coronavirus is a type of virus and as a group, coronaviruses are common across the world. Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is a new type of illness that can affect your lungs and airways.
We understand some people are feeling anxious but everyone can play their part by following good hygiene practices to help reduce the risks:
- Wash hands more frequently, for at least 20 seconds, with soap and water. If soap and water isn’t available use hand sanitiser containing an alcohol content of at least 60% or above.
- Catch it. Kill it. Bin it. Always carry tissues and use them to catch coughs and sneezes, bin the tissue after use. Remember to wash your hands after with soap and water or use hand sanitiser if this is not available.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
Testing for coronavirus is not needed if you’re staying at home.
There is currently no specific treatment for coronavirus. It’s therefore important to follow the latest NHS advice and stay at home guidance for people with confirmed or possible coronavirus infection on the gov.uk website. This will help stop the spread of coronavirus and help protect others in your community while you are infectious.
Time to plan ahead:
If you or your household need to self-isolate think about what plans you will need to put in place ahead of time.
- Do you have friends or neighbours who could bring food to your house or run errands, or could you do online shopping?
- Could you talk to your employer about opportunities to work from home if this became necessary?
- If you might be more vulnerable to severe symptoms of coronavirus, have you considered the activities you have planned over the coming weeks, listing which are essential and which you could cancel if you needed to? Could you arrange to work from home?
- Don’t forget to think of others too. Do you have friends, family or neighbours who might need extra help? Check in with them to see what they might need and that they know how to contact you if needed.